Saturday 16 April 2011

Glacier Viedma

This is the big glacier, albeit not so famous. From tip to source a whopping 40km and about 100 feet high we reckoned. Bus from El Chalten, then a ferry ride in the milky blue lake.




Everyone except us seemed to have packed lunches and all the gear you would need to climb the Everest. After 20 mins of photos in front of the glacier face, we disembarked to go hiking on ice.


(New album cover for our Christian rock band)



Glaciers never interested me at all in geography, and the rather lacklustre tour guide's explanation of how this one formed did little to change that. I did, however, love climbing the volcanic rocks, and hiking with crampons. The tour only brought us about 1km in, but it felt like we had climbed several hills, such was the magnitude of this block of ice. Finishing the hike with Baileys on glacier rocks was also an excellent touch, we thought.



Only bad thing to happen was me slipping on the rocks on the way down, cutting my hand. Crampons having been removed, my New Balances just werent made for this type of smooth rock surface. Admittedly it could have been much, much worse, but the pain was enough for me to release the word 'CULT' with such ferocity it echoed several times against the glacier walls. A few moments of stunned silence later, people came to my aid with moral support and alcohol (for the wound).



Just writing about this has reminded me of the need to get insurance, something I haven't been bothered with this far. I have never made an insurance claim in my life but now I understand that that's not really the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment