Sunday 3 July 2011

Morrow Bay to Carmel-by-the-Sea

I've been agonizing for some time on how to write about this section of the road trip. Mercifully, timely access to a PC means I can let the pictures provide the description. After all, the Pacific Coastal Highway pretty much does what it says on the tin. Blue skies, cool breezes, and rugged cliffs are the order of the day, and there's very little to trouble the mind beyond finding a radio station that plays decent music and deciding where to hace dinner and spend the night.



From Cambria onwards, country western dominated the soundwaves.
The approach to Big Sur.


Carmel-by-the-sea
Yes, it was beautiful, but by the time I reached Carmel, it eventually dawned on me that this really wasn't where I wanted to be. The coastal road is where you go when your SUV is filled with a family full of kids, surf boards and a golden retriever. No wonder Paul rated it so highly. Lone travellers, however, simply don't belong here, and as I searched for a restaurant I wouldn't feel too much of a saddo dining on my own, I began asking myself what the next move should be. 



2 comments:

  1. I've been to Carmel... isn't Dirty Harry the Mayor there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely correct. In fact, there are a number of restaurants around there and also in nearby Pebble Beach which claim to be where he takes guests who visit from out of town.

    ReplyDelete