Monday 23 May 2011

Fast forward in pictures

Afternoon at the Salt lagoon

Salt saturated water.
Is it a lake, or is it a mirror? One wonders.
 The Church of San Pedro

Built in 1641, this is Chile´s 2nd oldest church.

Looks kind of Chinese, doesn´t he?

Geysers del Tatio

These works of wonders are a must-see in San Pedro. I don´t think they have UNESCO status but they were every bit worth the 4am wake-up call and 2 hour drive up the volcano zone. Umpteen blogs had warned against driving there yourself, so against my own preference I joined a tour bus full of strangers. I loathe these sorts of tours, mainly because they go on for so long, stopping by at remote villages for an eternity in the hope that you are hungry or bored enough to buy some overpriced food, a rug or a poncho.

The geysers themselves, though, were amazing. At -7 degrees C and 4,000 plus altitude, the cold hits you hard as soon as you step off the bus. There is a 5-10 minute window for you to capture that magic moment, just as the sun pops over the mountains, during which it is almost impossible to take a bad photo.

According to the guide, the geysers are also more active at this time.

This is me, in front of the geysers, at sunrise.

This is me, from the opposite angle, at sunrise.


Me, without the hood, at sunrise.

My fabourite shot. I followed this guy for a while
to capture this one.
This is me in front of the geysers, after the magic moment.
See the difference?
This is me again, as the wind blew volcanic steam
across the background.
This is me in a full length shot, in front of the geyers.
Here I am in a close-up shot, still in front of the geysers.
A rare frontal shot for me, in front of the geysers.
This was taken later on, also in front of the geysers.

There are in fact hundreds of these amazing photos, so if you´d like to see more, just let me know when I´m back in town. I´d be more than happy to bring my memory card along and go through all of them with you, one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment