Monday 21 March 2011

And still, we wait.

It's been eleven days since the last entry, during which I have exceeded even my own lofty standards of non-accomplishment. Debs has very taken it upon herself to sort out storage and all logistics when I leave - am still shuddering at the thought of what I'd be doing without her. Sitting, probably.

I can, however, congratulate myself for buying the GF2 camera, booking the hotel in Buenos Aires and formulating an itinerary for Patagonia. Graham has been perfectly happy to leave the route planning to me which, to those who know me, is brave to say the least. We have less than a month in Argentina which sounds like a lot but in truth barely scratches the surface. The plan, then, has to combine driving with flying...

South first, then north. At this time of year it's the smart way to do it before the famously changeable weather of south Patagonia turns from clear, cold but welcoming to downright tempestuous. The plan is to fly first to Bariloche in the Lake District, then rent a car. Wise, by all accounts, to avoid Buenos Aires traffic and go straight to the fun stuff - the lake district, the mountains, the big skies, the glaciers and the long, lonely road to the end of the world.  And that's just Patagonia. I haven't even begun to map out a rough route in the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment